Polish chicken is light in weight. Mainly used for ornamental purpose. The prefix of polish comes from Poland. Polish chicken is also known as Poland chicken. It is the European breed, But because the polish is one of the oldest breed, therefore, their origin is not recognized till now.
This breed is very light in weight compared to others. The polish has crest on the head gives them a very beautiful appearance. Some varieties have beared and muffs and some are non-bearded and muffs.
All the varieties have short V-shaped comb. The head is fully covered with their crests which restricted the vision of polish chicken. This breed is small but Generally, they need large space because they can’t see each and other and some times frightened. The rarity of this breed is very common.
Polish is one the best breed for ornamental Purpose their white crested black breed show in the picture looks amazing. After grooming of their crests, it looks more beautiful and adorable.
There are eight Polish chicken recognized varieties which are:
- White Crested Black Polish chicken
- Bearded silver
- Buff Laced Polish chicken
- White Bearded
- Golden Bearded
- silver laced polish chicken Non-bearded
- white Non-bearded
- Golden Non–bearded or golden polish chicken
Polish Chicken Facts and Productivity
|Name of Breed||Polish|
|Other Name of Breed||Poland|
|Polish chicken Origin||Unkown|
|Disposition||Calm and friendly|
White Crested Black
Buff Laced polish chciken
Non bearded golden.
|Comb type||V shaped comb|
|Main color||White crested black|
|Cock weight||2.4 kg to 2.8 kg (5.5 lbs to 6 lbs).|
|Cockrel weight||2.3 kg (5 lbs)|
|Hen weight||1.8 kg to 2 kg (4 lbs to 4.5 lbs).|
|Pullet weight||1.8 kg (4 lbs)|
|Egg capacity per year||200 eggs|
|Age at first Egg (days)||140-150|
|Egg weight||45-50 g|
|Survivability % upto 6 weeks||98|
Characteristics of polish chicken
Polish are attractive in look and prolific egg layers. It is Popularly known for Exhibition fowl. They rarely show broodiness. Foraging ability is quite good. this breed comes in a fancy category which has a very tight feather.
It is one of the old breed, the varieties of Polish recognized by APA (American Poultry Association) from 1820 to 1960.
The behavior and temperament of this breed are docile or calm. It can easily set as a family pet.
They perform better in the limited ration or in free range backyard. the polish chicken lifespan is around eight years.
Appearance of Polish Chicken
The crest is large on the head falling both the sides, V-shaped comb and beared in some varieties makes Polish different from the other. Primarily used for ornamental purpose so obviously good in look.
Polish chicken breed is small in size but has a very tight feather. The V-shaped comb is small in size or red in color. silver laced Polish chicken is quite popular compared to others.
Wattles or ear lobes are equal on both sides. Both Wattles and ear lobes are very small in size. Wattles are red or ear lobes are white in color
Plumage color depends on variety to variety. The beak is medium in length or slightly curved.
Tail is inclined or very well expanded. Shanks and toes are free from feathers. Shank color may vary variety to variety.
The production capacity of eggs is quite fair. It lays around 200 eggs per year per hen. The polish chicken egg color is white. Generally lays medium sized eggs. They start laying eggs in 19th to 20th weeks and continuously lays up to 70th weeks. It matures on time.
Generally lays 3 to 4 eggs in a week. At the first egg, the weight of polish is noted 1.5 kg. which is very less as compared to other breeds.
The cost of rearing polish is very low. It eats very less and gives quick returns in the form of eggs.
Firstly polish is used for exhibition after that secondly used for both Meat and eggs. They give not much meat but the quality of meat is very fine because of their small size.
For the meat purpose, it is generally slaughtered in 15th to 18th weeks.
Size and weight of the cock and increases till their 50th week
The average standard weight of cock ranges between 2.4 kg to 2.8 kg (5.5 lbs to 6 lbs).
The average standard weight of Hen ranges between 1.8 kg to 2 kg (4 lbs to 4.5 lbs).
Care and management
- House of should be dry up the ground, clean or disinfected for the maximum growth of the bird.
- Polish chicken needs a large space. So provide a large space or don’t overcrowd if you are rearing in large numbers.
- Provide nutritious feed to the layers and growers.
- Do vaccinate the chicks of New castle disease and Marek’s disease at their first week of age to avoid mortality.
- External deworming, internal deworming or debeaking is essential for the poultry birds. Deworming every eight weeks is very much needed for better growth.
- Protect the birds against the excess weather condition.
- Also, protect from predators or other animals.
Is Polish chicken is good for your Farm?
- Polish chicken is docile calm and friendly. It can be easily handled. They have all the qualities of a family pet.
- Polish performs better in limited feed and gives a maximum return to the owner.
- Egg laying capacity of polish chicken is good.
- The flock of more than 25 birds on the farm increases the beauty of the farm.
- Fulfill the nutrition requirement of the family from their eggs.