Boer goat is originated in South Africa. it is the most Famous Goat breed worldwide because it achieves very Good weight in a short period of time. This breed is very good for meat production purpose. the breed comes in the category of Meat goat breed. The Boer Goat also known From South African Boer Goat. Boer means ‘Farmer’ In Africa.
Normally, this Breed is very well suited for Stall Feeding System or Commercial goat farming. the breed has Potential of higher Growth Rate. The Boer Goat is mainly used to improve the growth rate of indigenous Goats in Developing Countries through Cross breeding.
This breed recognizes in the early 1900s but it registered in 1980, in the Registered Goat breed in Germany.
It Is the famous Goat breed worldwide and There are number of association made on the name of Boer goat which is continuously working on the improvement of the Breed. the Associations are South African Boer Goat Breeders, Boer Goat Breeders Association of Australia And Breed standards of American Boer goat association.
This association exports the Semen of Boer Goat to the developing countries for the enhancement of Their Indigenous Breed.
the breed is exported worldwide, it is the quite expensive breed. in Australia, New Zealand and North America the breed imported in Bulk Quantity. The Production performance of meat and milk is noted excellent.
Boer Goat Breed Profile
|Other Name||South African Boer|
|Coat Color||White with Brown Head|
|Purpose Of Breed||Meat Purpose|
|Size Category||Large Size Breed|
| Weight of Mature Male |
|100 to 110 kg|
| Weight Of Mature Female |
|80 to 90 kg|
|Age At First Kid||16 Months|
|Kidding Interval||7 months|
|Number of Kid Crops in 2 Year||3|
|Gestation Length||148-150 days|
|Repeating Heat Cycle||20-21 days|
|Single Birth Percentage||30%|
|Average Milk Capacity|| 1.5 to 2 liter |
(First two months)
The look of Boer Goat is quite Beautiful and adorable. The coat color of Boer is white with Brown color heads. The Ears are medium in size which match the color with the Head, gives the Goat perfect look.
Horns are medium in size and curved to back side.
The Legs are small in size compared to other large breeds but this Breed comes in the category of a large breed.
The color of Eyes is Brown the Hair on the coat is short.
The Mortality rate Percentage from birth to Weaning is less compared to other Breed
Boer goat is known for its Fine quality Meat And faster Growth Rate. The performance of this breed is quite good, it can survive in any type of environment or any region of the world.
The Boer Female Goat Generally gives Single birth in their first pregnancy. After the first pregnancy, they are able to give multiple Birth. The reason for giving a single birth in the first pregnancy is their small size.
After the first pregnancy, 55% Boer goat gives Twins, 15% triplets and 30% Gives single Birth.
The Boer Goat gives maximum profit to the flock owner because it is in very high demand in the last decade worldwide.
The poor performer indigenous breed with lower weight gain can be improved with the cross breeding with Male Boer goat. Some countries using this goat for improving the growth rate of an indigenous goat.
Raising Boer Goat as Pet
Raising Boer goat as a pet is good choice, it is suitable for all the climates. Many of the peoples in the united states, Australia and united kingdom raised stud Boer as ornamental or used in the show competition. they are friendly in behavior and the baby Boer looks cute and adorable. it is the only breed who sold in auctions
the Boer is a little bit expensive compared to other goats, the goat breed is available worldwide keep search near your region if you select Boer goat as a pet.
Keep them vaccinate at 3 months of age to stay away from major disease
Association of Boer Goat
- American Boer goat association
- Australian Boer goat association
- South African Boer Goat Breeder association
- South African Boer goat association
- united states Boer goat association
Body Weight and Meat Production
Normally in the goat, the meat Production is 55 % of the total Bodyweight in goat. For example, if the goat has 100 kg weight, then the consumable meat present is 55 kg approximately.
The weight gain and Growth rate of Boer goat is quite different as compared to other Goat Breeds.
Generally, the Bodyweight of this male goat breed at the time of birth Is 3.5 to 4 kg while The weight of Female goat at the time of birth is 500 g (gram) lighter than Male kid.
Boer Goat weight chart by age
|Age||Weight Of Male||Weight Of Female|
|At the time of Birth||3.5 to 4 Kg||3 to 3.5 Kg|
|3 Months||20 to 25||17 to 22 Kg|
|6 months||35 to 40||30 to 35 kg|
|12 months||60 to 65||50 to 55 kg|
|18 months||75 to 80||60 to 65 kg|
|24 months||100 to 110||70 to 75 Kg|
Note: This is the weight of without castrated male.
This weight can be easily achieved, on giving the Quality feed to the goat. The Dry, Green Forages and concentrated feed should be given at the proper amount.
The weight of male can be increase with castration at the age of 3 months.
it is the meat purpose goat breed but they have the ability to produce enough milk in their lactation period. In which the Twins and triplets can survive easily.
After giving the Birth, The milk production of a goat at the first 2 months is at peak level. In this two month, it gives around 1.5 to 2 liter which is quite good. After that, these milk production slightly goes down week to week.
In commercial Goat farming, the house should be separated according to age for better productivity. The goal of a separated house is because the Adult goat doesn’t let small goats eat, it directly affects on growth and productivity.
The pregnant female goat should be separated from other female goats. And after three to four-month, the male and female should be separated.
Always stay away from the Overcrowding in the Goat House. In Goat Farming overcrowding is the call for the disease.
In goat House, There should be covered area or open paddock area, the open paddock area should be double the covered area. Covered area is for the protection against the excessive weather or for protection against the Wild animals.
|Age of goats||Covered area||Open paddock|
|0 to 3 Months||0.2-0.25||0.4-0.5|
|3 to 6 Months||0.5-0.75||1.0-1.5|
|6 to 12 Months||0.75-1.0||1.5-2.0|
|Adult Boer Goats||1.5||3.0|
|Pregnant and lactating |
Note: These covered area and open paddock are in square meter
Care and Management
- The House of the this goat should be well ventilated for fresh air circulation. The gases like ammonia and methane are common in the Goat house and it should be out quickly through air. These gases develop from the goat manure, and through the Rumination of goat in the house.
- Goats are susceptible to some major viral and bacterial diseases. So vaccination should be done at the age of 3 months for the Better health and production to stay away from the Goat Disease.
- PPR, Foot and Mouth Disease, Anthrax, Enterotoxaemia, Bacterial Pneumonia, coccidiosis, contagious Ecthyma, and Goat Pox are the major Goat diseases. These diseases found worldwide, and may vary in endemic areas.
- Internal and External deworming should be done twice a year for better health.
- In commercial goat farm, there should be a quarantine room for the Goats. Quarantine is for sick animal. Before Entering the new goat in House firstly they Keep in the Quarantine house for one month where proper vaccination, Internal and external Deworming should be done. After that, they can be introduced with other goats in the main house.
- The detected sick animal in the main house should be transferred immediately to the Quarantine House.
Boer Goat semen
it is the world’s best goat in weight gain who has a higher food conversion rate so the demand of its semen for artificial insemination has always in high demand. The goat keeper who doesn’t want to raise expensive quality buck can use Boer goat semen and inseminate their Doe. artificial insemination is the win-win situation for both.
why you have to Raise Boer goat on your farm?
- This goat is known for its faster growth and meat production.
- The buck can also be used for crossbreeding purpose.
- It gives maximum returns as compared to other breeds in a limited period of time.
- The breed has the capability to give multiple births. 55% twins and 20% triplets are the good numbers.
- Boer Goat is one of the Expensive Goat Breed worldwide. It comes in the categories of Exotic breed except for Africa.